Saturday, October 30, 2010

Traditions

I'm an "Occasion" kind of girl. There is no occasion too small to celebrate and make special, in my books. Perhaps it's because I'm sentimental.

The Dear Husbie, on the other hand, is not. At ALL. Case in point, he doesn't see the need to keep my wedding dress, he gave away his Russian Special Forces beret and pins, and he really doesn't mind if he gets no presents on his birthday. (I will say, however, that he is very good about making my special occasions special and has been known to spoil me dreadfully!) But, I digress.

My point is, that I have worked very hard to get him to come around to my way of thinking (!) and realize that there ARE certain things worth keeping and certain occasions worth making important. In the spirit of "Occasions" we have agreed to try and establish some traditions for our family. One of these is going to the pumpkin patch each year. Neither of us grew up with Fall Festivals/Pumpkin Patching/Halloween, so it's something new for us too.

And today was the day. Unfortunately, Jack developed a cold last night and had a pretty miserable time of it. But he woke up fever free and seemed more himself today, so we bundled him up and took him out anyway. It was a gorgeous day and we had great fun at the farm with Mum who is in town at the moment and Ness, Sean and the girls and our friend Pip.

Us, Mum, Ness & Sean and the kiddos



Nana and the Grands


Mum and Pip on the hay-ride


Michaela was thrilled with her baby pumpkins


Family photo (I think Jack needs some baby sunglasses!)



The Cousin Twins



Jack did lots of new things today, like sitting among the pumpkins...


Visiting the goats, turkeys and piglets at the petting zoo...


And riding the tractor



Poor little guy was all tired out on the ride home

Happy pumpkin patching, Jack Boy and thanks for "occasion-ing and tradition-ing" with me, Husbie!

No comments: