Monday, July 12, 2010

Scrummy Mummy's Top Picks

Scrummy (yummy + scrumptious) Mummy is what Dear Husbie calls me. Has a nice ring to it, I think :)

Anyway, this nick name set me thinking about the fact that I'm a new mom and am learning so much. Going into motherhood, with all the gifts you get, books you read, showers you have and general getting-readyness, you really have no idea what is going to work well and what's not. You think you're prepared and then once the baby comes, discover that actually, no, you don't need that many washcloths, yes, you do need that many diapers (!), and, incidentally, the cute little overalls you thought would be so useful are a right royal pain to dress him in.

Amazing the things you learn.

So, in an effort to perhaps be slightly helpful to anyone who is a new mom (I've never been able to give mommy advice before since most of my friends have had babies before me, so bear with me as I revel in this new role!), I thought that every now and then, I'd jot down a few things that have made an impression on me. I'll call them my "Scrummy Mummy" Posts :)

So here goes. This one's about my top picks for great baby items:

1. Video Monitor


We LOVE our video monitor. You may think it's silly we want to see our child when he's asleep, (especially since we live in a 1200 sq. ft condo) but let me tell you, it's fab having a view of his doings at all times! This is probably our very favorite baby item to date. Definitely puts one's mind at ease. We have the Summer Day and Night Video Monitor which works very well, holds a charge for a good long time, doesn't get interference and you can add additional cameras as more babies come along.

2. Stroller



Another item we love and highly recommend is our City Mini Stroller by Baby Jogger (no it's not specifically a jogging stroller). We chose this one because we didn't have room for several different strollers (snap and go, umbrella, full stroller) and this functions as all three. It has an adapter for the car seat, and Jack could actually sit in the stroller comfortably at three months old. But...drum roll please...the fold is what sold it for me. It is AMAZING!! Go to a store near you to try it out. In fact, we have been stopped a grand total of 5 times at IKEA by people asking to see the stroller and every one of them is speechless when we proudly show them the fold. Too funny!

3. Zip Front Sleepers



These zip front sleepers by Gerber (I especially like the Gerber brand ones as they are a bit longer and slimmer, since our child is a string bean) made life, and bedtime, SO much easier. Since dressing a new baby is sometimes like trying to put clothes on an octopus, the zip front is a must (as opposed to snaps). Gerber brand are soft, wash well and keep their shape. A small thing, but infinitely helpful!

So there you have it, Scrummy Mummy's favs. Super exciting, I know. Ha!

3 comments:

Jana said...

id love to have a video monitor to eliminate feeling the need to go in and "check" on them---always risking waking them up or stirring them if they are not quite asleep. I might need to look in to getting one. Does it do sound too??

Brie said...

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep them in mind as I start registering for our little girl :)

Mikki said...

I so agree about the front zip sleepers instead of the snaps. And I love my City Mini stroller also. I look forward to reading more scrummy mummy posts