Sunday, December 18, 2011

Birth Story

Finally getting around to documenting Sophia's birth story. Not that dramatic or exciting, as it was a scheduled C-section, due to complications I had after Jack's birth (which you can read about here, should you so desire!). And this time around, the whole experience was WONDERFUL!!

I had switched doctors at 36 weeks (crazy, I know), to a friend from church, and I am so happy I did. It was great to have someone familiar doing my surgery and she did a fantastic job. This had also meant switching hospitals and again, I'm so pleased I did. We had a great experience there and were so comfortable and well cared for.

Last family photo before leaving for the hospital

Anyway, we were scheduled for 1 pm and went in at 11 am to get prepped. Honestly the worst part of the whole experience was getting the epidural put in...the rest of the time I didn't feel a thing! So great and so quick. One minute I'm lying on the operating table, delighting in feeling numb all over, after 9 months of being uncomfortable, and the next thing I know, there's a gorgeous, screaming baby girl!!


Daddy prepped and ready


Mummy prepped and VERY ready!


Stacy doing the surgery (on the right)


And in no time at all, there she was!


First photo with Sophia


A little bitty thing at 6 lbs 9 oz


Hello world!

The surgery took about 45 minutes start to finish. Sophia and Andre were taken into the recovery room before me, for her bath and then I joined them a bit later. Although I got the shakes pretty badly from the epidural, I didn't feel anything else...totally the way to do things :) Ha!

And our hospital stay was really good, so comfortable and relaxing and all the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. I almost didn't want to go home. Almost :). Thanks to all of our sweet friends and family who visited us in the hospital and at home, since. We've loved celebrating Sophia with all of you!

No comments: