Monday, February 1, 2010

Firsts: Childbirth Class



On Saturday we attended the childbirth class that our hospital offers. It was an all day thing (much to Andre's dismay!) but actually went by pretty quickly and we even got out a bit early. Good thing, as all of us preggies were pretty uncomfortable from sitting so long, by the end!

We found the class really helpful, despite feeling like we already had a pretty good handle on things before we went. It was really helpful to go through each step, know what could/might happen and hear about all the hospital policies. I think it was reassuring for the husbands, to know what to expect. The first question one husband asked at the beginning of class, with great trepidation was, "Could you tell us where we should stand and what we should do. I have NO idea." Fear was written all over the poor man's face!!

During the lunch break we popped across the road to one of my favorite little cafes "Fresh 4 You" which my friend Laura had introduced me to last year. It's all mediterranean food and their lamb gyros are FAB. It was fun having a little date together in between birthing videos!

The biggest emotional upset of the whole day for me was finding out we can't have ANY visitors while we're there, except grandparents of the baby!!! This is due to the terrible flu season we've been having this year and means that even my sister and brother won't be able to come and visit or see the baby until we're home. I cried. Oh well, I guess we'll have a really quiet time in the hospital.

Only five weeks to go and so thankful that Baby is healthy so far!

2 comments:

Jana said...

I need to find out about touring the hospital in Rome and if guests are even allowed (siblings---big sisters) due to flu season. Maybe it won't be as big of a deal by June, but still want to find out. Sorry you can't have people there like you had hoped. Just rest as much as you can and tell people to come see you once you are home. Love you and miss you!!!

Brie said...

Bummer that your siblings won't get to visit you and your little one in the hospital, but I'm sure you'll be home shortly after he's born. I can only imagine how my husband's going to respond when the time comes for birthing class! Ha!