Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sugar Bowls, Baby Showers and an ER visit

Well, this weekend has been eventful, to say the least. More on the drama, below, but first, a funny :). On Friday my friend Meg dropped by with her kiddos. Jack and her two older boys spent quite a bit of time playing in Jack's bedroom. At one point Jacko came running into the kitchen, grabbed something out of the silverware drawer and headed back to his room. I didn't think much of it, as he's just learned to set the table, so he loves that drawer. Anyway, as they were leaving, I noticed that the sugar bowl I had laid out for our coffee, was no longer on the kitchen counter. Suspicious, I went into the bedroom and lo and behold:

The missing, and now empty, sugar bowl!

He had offered his guests a bowl full of sugar, complete with three little spoons for their eating pleasure. Wow. A chat was had about the unsuitability of spoonfuls of sugar as a snack! Sorry Meg!

Anyway, Saturday morning was my friend Hannah's long awaited baby shower...such fun to celebrate her little boy due to arrive in a month. Can't wait to meet that little man! Hooray!


Hannah and her hostesses: Blaire, Kate, Hannah, Robin and me

After the shower I hurried home as Sophie had been running a fever since Thursday night and when we got up on Sat. morning it was up to 103.8. I ended up being a bit late for the shower as I spent time sponge bathing her and getting her settled down for a nap once her fever lowered. But when I got home again I was greeted by a baby who certainly didn't look very well. Within a few minutes I noticed her lips and finger/toe nails were a purple/blue color. Her fever was only 99.9 but she was breathing rapidly and grunting so we decided to get to the ER right away. I've never been in such a rush to get anywhere! By the time I got there, she was burning up and very unhappy. The front desk nurses immediately noticed she was blue and rushed us back where she got Motrin and a sponge bath as her temp was up to 105! So glad I took her in.

The ER team was great, but poor Sophie was really traumatized by the whole thing. It took them 1.5 hours to get her IV in and eventually they had to get a NICU nurse to do it! After that she screamed as soon as anyone came into the room. And even though we were there for hours, she couldn't fall asleep even in my arms. So, after IV fluids, blood tests, a urine catheter, one huge dose of antibiotics, and a chest X-ray, they determined it is probably a nasty super-virus thingy and we have to wait it out. She was eventually allowed to go home because her fever had lowered and she was able to drink a bottle. Praise God! I was so relieved we weren't spending the night and she was beyond thrilled to see her Daddy and brother when we walked in! She brightened up as soon as we got home and fell asleep the minute I put her in her crib.

We are monitoring her closely obviously to watch for color changes, dehydration etc. and we did have a couple of bad episodes during the night and today. But overall, I think she is fighting her way through this and fingers crossed we'll be able to stay home. I am so thankful to the Lord for protecting Sophie and helping us make quick decisions about what she needed.

Please pray for her to get over this quickly, regain her strength and her weight. And that Jack won't pick up the virus. We are leaving for the beach in a week and I would love her to be completely over this before our trip.

No comments: