Friday, March 23, 2012

Jack's Party Post...finally!

I'm finally getting around to posting about Jack's birthday party that happened almost a month ago! I've been waiting to get these lovely photos that my brother took that morning...thanks Steve!

Seeing as Jack is all about airplanes at the moment, and seeing as I found these at Target and thought they'd make perfect party favors...



And seeing as our local small airport has an awesome playground and picnic area....



...all these factors conspired to bring about the airplane themed party for his second birthday. Easy, fun and mess free. Or would have been had the weather cooperated. After weeks of lovely, relatively warm weather that fooled us all into thinking Spring was just around the corner, a tornado swept down from the north causing nasty weather that very weekend (and terrible damage and loss in many areas. Thank the Lord the worst for us was unpleasant weather for an outdoor party. It could have been oh so much worse!)

We arrived early to set up the tables of food and cake, only to find that the picnic hanger (which is open to the air on two sides) was covered in water and there were fierce winds blowing. Lovely. Andre, being the resourceful man he is, asked around for a broom/squidgy thingy and managed to get most of the water swept away. We got the table set, while poor old Jack sat there shivering, bundled from head to toe, muttering, "Cold, cold". Poor child.

Adding to the stress was Sophie who wouldn't stop screaming, no matter how often I tried to reason with her that this was definitely not the moment for a meltdown. I finally, with very bad grace I might add, picked her up, only to discover that she was COVERED in poop. And when I say covered, I mean no good-very bad-from her armpits-to her ankles-kind of poop. Oh did I ever feel like a bad mother! I'm not even sure how long she had been sitting in that, although I vaguely remember smelling something when we loaded up the car that morning. Back at home. An hour before. Did I mention I felt bad?

The only place to change her was the freezing cold bathroom equipped with a freezing cold plastic changing station and freezing cold tap water. My poor baby was practically blue by the time we finished cleaning her up and yes, it was a two person job! Thankfully I had packed another set of clothes for her. Here she is bundled up warm and with a snack after her traumatic experience. She slept the rest of the party. Angel child.



Pinterest had given me lots of fun ideas for cakes and food and I had such fun experimenting with it all. The "Cloud Parfaits" were the biggest hit with the kids...


I wanted to make him a cake in the shape of an airplane...


...but was dying to try my hand at fondant for fun and had this adorable model bi-plane. Hence, two cakes.


We did try to light candles but the wind being what it was, that didn't turn out so successfully so we sang without them. Jack didn't seem to mind and was more concerned with getting back to the playground anyway!



My brother took some gorgeous photos of the kids...here's little cousin Alexis...


And the birthday boy...


He had a blast playing with all his "fwends" who came and watching the planes...




And as the morning wore on, the wind died down and the sun warmed things up enough for us to stop shivering. I was SO relieved the rain held off! Thanks to everyone who braved the frigid temps to help celebrate our boy! He is still talking about it :)

No comments: