Tuesday, April 12, 2011

South Africa: Tour Bus

We arrived safe and sound in Cape Town last Wednesday. The trip was rather tiring but we made it, as did our luggage, all in one piece, so I'll spare you the details! And we really haven't stopped enjoying ourselves ever since we landed. The weather is still hot here, although with the breeze and cooler nights, it's perfect.

We're primarily staying with my Gran with short trips to other places. On Thursday we got settled and then my Aunt Wendy and her two kids came over for tea. Then in the evening, my other aunt, Tracy, came over for dinner with her husband, Nolan, and their kids David and Lauren. On Friday, we spent the day at my Aunty Sarah's house which was lovely too. Her daughter Camilla is the one getting married, so we talked wedding the whole day with all the cousins while Jack ran around happily in the garden in between naps. (Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos those two days...jet lag got the better of me!)

On Saturday, Granny took us, along with my cousins David and Lauren, on a scenic tour of Cape Town, on a topless bus (yes, that's what they call them here...Andre was intrigued!). This just means they don't have a roof on the top deck of the bus. What a fantastic way to see the scenery! We thoroughly enjoyed the 2.5 hour tour, although poor Jack was pretty wriggly by the end.

We forgot to actually take a photo of our bus, but here's
one from their website


Me with Granny, David and Lauren,waiting for the tour bus


A township we passed on our way


Hout Bay, one of our favorite family haunts growing up


One of my favorite beaches, Llandudno


Craft stalls along the side of the highway


More coastline along the tour


Granny entertaining Jack on the bus



Government building


View of Cape Town harbor

I'm trying to post each day as we do things, so it's not overwhelming when we get back. However, internet access is unreliable so I may not succeed!

1 comment:

Laura Ward said...

Lovely photos, Christy - they make me homesick, but in a good way. :) So glad you're having such a good time. Love to you all & the Wartons too!