Monday, April 2, 2012

Little One

Three weeks ago

And yes, she is. Little that is. But before we address that, I just have to say, I LOVE this little girl! I cannot believe she's ours and cannot get enough cuddles and kisses and sniffs. Yes, I sniff her all the time and it's official, she smells like shortbread cookies. I know, I'm weird. But she DOES! She's just so yummy! Ok, enough of that.

Here's what's been going on: at her two month check, she wasn't gaining very well, so the doc upped her reflux meds and wanted her back at three months. At three months she had only gained 3 oz in two weeks. NOT good (they're supposed to gain around an ounce a day). She was officially labeled as "failure to thrive", which means she had dropped to below 2% on the growth curve.

By the way, to me "failure to thrive" sounded very much like "failure to mother". Anyway, I've had to work through that. Parenting seems to be a constant learning experience!

Anyhoo, the doc told me to put extra formula in her bottles and put her on a strict newborn schedule of feeding every three hours (even at night). Oh yes, that's been fun. I had got very used to my 8 hours of sleep and found it pretty rough going back again! But, it did the trick. Little girl gained 7 ounces in 6 days! Praise the Lord! My sweet Mum knew I was worried about Sophie, so she got us a digital baby scale so we could weigh her each week. So thankful for that! I weighed her yesterday and she had gained another 11 ounces in 11 days. Hooray!

So that's the scoop on our girlie. I haven't really wanted to broadcast the fact that she wasn't doing so well, as I was still working through my own feelings about it. And trying to field all the comments about how tiny she is! But I appreciate all the prayers from those of you who knew and would appreciate continued prayer for her as she hopefully continues to grow. I am so thankful though, that she is still reaching milestones just fine and that she is starting to look a little less pinched and hollow around her face. She is still sleeping ALOT during the day, which the doc says is normal as she is trying to conserve her calories for growth, not wasting them on awake time/playing.

And those sweet smiles and giggles keep coming, so that makes my heart happy. And she still smells like shortbread :)

Yesterday

3 comments:

Steven and Hannah said...

I just love her and you! So glad she is growing and continuing to gain weight. You are an AWESOME mum so don't ever forget it! Love you!

Steven and Hannah said...

I just love her and you! So glad she is growing and continuing to gain weight. You are an AWESOME mum so don't ever forget it! Love you!

Hilarie said...

Precious little Sophie. You are a wonderful mother to your little chicks